Attached is also a picture of one of many walkingsticks roaming around.
Thank you for your help,
Darin, Melissa and Spencer

We just got this photo in.

(11/15/2003) Kind of like a Walkingstick

I would like to see if you can identify an insect for us. Sorry I have no picture, so I will try to describe it. As near as I can describe, it is like a fat walking stick. Usually about 2 inches long, 1/4 to 3/8" wide in the middle, brownish in color, and with a smaller version (1 inch long and skinny) riding piggy back. They were sighted climbing pine trees in central Arkansas.
thanks for your help,
Jon

Dear Jon,
Close relatives of the Walkingsticks are a group of insects known as Timemas, Family Timemidae. They differ from Walkingsticks in being smaller and more robust in form. There is a great deal of guessing and speculation concernin the habits of this insect and many have reported it as feeding on coniferous trees. All forms are arboreal, and while they may be found on all kinds of trees during the mating season in May and June, they apparently feed largely in not entirely on deciduous trees. Our California species are a bright leaf green with occasional decidedly pink specimens. It has been reported that other species are brownish in color. Here is an image I downloaded of specimens in a collection.

3 Responses to Texas Walkingstick

1. Deborah Montana says:

Its Nov. 9, 2018…. 37 degrees….in Texas..
    I found 2 walking sticks and brought them inside to show children. I dont have a proper cage and want to put them outside but didn’t want them to freeze. Can I put them back outside or will it kill them?

2. Keith says:

I’ll have to get a photo of the bug I’m seeing here in Texas. It looks like a stick at least three inches long and for the past couple weeks they always have another one of them, about a third of its size, hanging on its back. Maybe mating? The actual bug will spray some liquid if disturbed. That liquid smells interesting, but I was worried it was making me lightheaded smelling it. I believe it’ll also cause a burning feeling if it gets in your eyes. I never see them during the day, only at night I see one occasionally on a concrete trail.

Definitely mating Muskmares. They have a noxious spray that they are reported to aim into the eyes of any attacker with amazing accuracy. According to BugGuide: “Members of this genus can deliver a chemical spray to the eyes that can cause corneal damage.”