Hello there! You folks have a very informative web site and a much larger database than I thought. I am very pleased to have found you. My husband & I had this great visitor on May 22nd (it hung out all day) and would love to know what it is exactly. We live in Pike County, PA. near the Delaware River and I have never seen anything like this. He/she was gorgeous!
Thank you for your terrific site and for any help you may be able to give us in identifying this unique-looking (to us, anyway) insect.
Sincerely,
The Fisher’s
P.S. Wishing I had captured something this beautiful resting on something more beautiful (not our screen door), I Photoshopped our moth onto another picture I had taken of some Coral flowers years back.
Again, thank you! and have a terrific day!

Dear Fishers,
You have been lucky enough to see a Luna Moth, arguably the most beautiful North American moth. These are members of the Giant Silkworm Family Saturniidae. The caterpillar feeds on gum, walnut, hickory and persimmon tree leaves. In the fall it drops to the ground and forms a cocoon by spinning silk around a leaf. It winters on the ground and emerges as an adult moth in the spring. Adults do not feed. They live solely to mate. Congratulations on your wonderful sighting and also for sharing your beautiful photo with us. We are reproducing it full size, not the normal 3 inches we usually post. We also prefer your screen door to the floral background.

THANK YOU, Daniel. What lovely and warm people you are over there!!!! I never expected to hear back from you so soon. We appreciate your kinds words and expertise immensely. (And I agree, the screen door shot is better. Thank YOU.) Do take care, Roy & Carie Fisher

3 Responses to Luna Moth

1. hana says:

May 29th, 2014
    Bakersville,NC
    I spotted a male Luna Moth this morning close to our porch light.

2. Carole says:

This afternoon whilst caring for my neighbors pet pig, I saw something odd fluttering in the rear corner of the pen. At first I thought it was a baby humming bird. The closer I looked the more mysterfied I was. i found a neighbor to validate my sight and confirm that I wasn’t hallucinating! We caught it inspected it and put it back from which it came. The piglets dad found it on your website! Thanks for solving the origin and name of our mystery guest.
    WOWED IN WAXHAW,N.C.

3. Gilgamesh says:

“A great expression of God’s handiwork!” – Carol
    Then why didn’t ‘it’ give them a mouth?