Huge moth
Wow, what a great site! I couldn’t have found it at a better time. I hope you’ll be able to help with this one. I live in central Texas, and not long ago some co-workers and I noticed a type of moth that we have never seen before. it’s BIG. I measured it at 6 3/4" wingspan, tip-to-tip. I suspect it’s a female Imperial moth, but the colors and the pattern don’t match. But it’s the only moth species I could find taht came close to that size. here’s a photo. Can you identify his one?
–Dan

Hi Dan,
Erebus odora is commonly known as The Black Witch. It is very common in the tropical regions of Central and South America, and can also be found occasionally in Florida and the Gulf states. Occasionally specimens, usually females, are found in the North. When they fly around lights at night, they look like enormous bats. When I stayed in a country home in Mexico, they commonly flew into the house and rested on the walls near the ceiling until nightfall, when they would fly away. Thank you for the great photo.

That’s great! Thanks for clearing that up. Yes, when people saw it they at first thought it was a bat. I don’t know why, as it was just sitting on the wall. Clearly not a bat–I’m in Austin, home of the largest urban bat colony in the country (world?), and see bats daily during the summer. But when I nudged it–which is what it took to get it going, as it didn’t care how close we got to it–it did indeed look like a big, slow flying bat. Hope to see the photo on the website soon. 🙂
–Dan