I am wondering what kind of spider this is. I haven’t found any reference to the blue markings on the ventral surface. I took the photo of the spider on its web between two trees. There was a second of the same species close by. The location was in woods in Northern NJ , USA .
Barry

Hi Barry,
You have taken a photo of Leucauge venusta, or the Beautiful Leucauge. The scientific name venusta means beautiful, and well deserved, for it is one of the most beautiful of all our spiders. I have also found this spider called the Orchard Spider. It is a common and widely distributed species, extending beyond the limits of the United States both north and south. It is a bright green and silver-white spider, tinged with golden, and sometimes with orange-yellow or copper-red spots. Red spots seem to be common in the south, but in the north, they are usually absent, as in your photo. The spider builds an orb-shaped web that is nearly horizontal, or slightly inclined, in open, well-lighted situations. The web can be more than a foot across and is built in shrubs and trees.

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I will be using this photo along with a number of other wildlife photos in my daughter’s classroom and I will certainly be letting them know about your help and your website. Thanks again Barry

Location: New Jersey