Hello, this bug was found boring through the plaster in my wall last night. What kind of bug is this? It left a hole about .25″ in diameter. I just moved into a newly constructed home in a newly constructed community last week. I live in Modesto CA, which is in the Central Valley and it is an agricultural area. It is possible this bug may not be from this area at all. It may have come along with the building materials the builders used. Can you tell from this picture what type of bug this is and if it is male or female. I am kind of concerned about whether or not this bug could of laid eggs inside my wall. If you need other pictures I will try and take some better ones. This one that I took is through a plastic zip-lock bag that I have the bug in. Also, the white powdery stuff on the bug is probaly the plaster from the wall.
Thanks so much !
Chris

Dear Chris,
It looks to me like you have a Pine Sawyer, probably Monochamus titillator. Members of this genus are usually over an inch in length. The first antennal segment has a scarlike area near the tip. The antennae of the males are sometimes twice as long as the body, while females have antennae about as long as the body. Your specimen looks like a female. They feed on evergreens, usually on freshly cut logs but they may sometimes attack living trees. They also bore into felled trees where the female lays eggs. I’m guessing your specimen has been boring in the pine of your home since the tree was cut. You really don’t need to worry about being infested at this point. Sometimes adults may emerge years after the eggs were laid.