Bigger red bugs?
Hi……..
I live in Kansas and was just going to plant a planter in my yard. Upon pulling up an old plant from last summer, I unearthed thousands of little red bugs. At first I thought they were "baby lady bugs" but on further inspection….they have no spots and are a brighter, deeper red. It appears that the adults are about 1/4 " long and the babies are 1/8". I felt as though I had unearthed an ant den……..that’s how they scattered. Also, they have black heads and fine black legs ( hardly visible) Any ideas what they are….or if they are harmful? The planter is connected to the house. Should I be concerned? Do I need to exterminate before replanting? Thanks in advance for your help!
Sheri

Hi Sheri,
I wish you had a photo. They might be Box Elder Bugs. Here is an image of an aggregation. They are difficult to erradicate.

Thank you for your response. After further investigation……..you are correct they are boxedler bugs. I guess it was just a bunch of babies…..because I saw no adults…………until I checked back later. Boxelder bugs are common around here. I’m not too concerned. Anyway, thanks again!
Sheri