I’m in England and my fiancé and I have found a bug that we do not know much about, here is a picture of it, what do you think it is?
Truly Bugged in England,
Virginia and Dave

Dear Virginia and Dave,
You have a Tiger Beetle, Family Cicindelidae. These are fast, predatory hunters, often irridescent in color. They are also strong fliers, are often found in sandy locations, and they capture and kill their prey with powerful sickle-shaped mandibles.

Update (08/22/2006)
Hello Lisa Anne and Daniel,
I recently came across your website and I was pleased to see such a vibrant (and well-done) site. I’m an entomologist and evolutionary biologist (specializing on the systematics, taxonomy and evolution of tiger beetles and their close relatives) and I have to say that I’m impressed with your accuracy rate! It’s much, much better than other comparable sites I’ve come across over the years. The two of you must really love insects. In any case, I noticed that you are open to information from specialists, so I thought I’d give you a few ID’s of species that I came across on your pages. I was having trouble sleeping, so I went through all of the tiger beetles, scaratines, etc and checked them out. Here you go: “(04/11/2004) Tiger Beetle” This is Cicindela campestris, which is a common and widespread European tiger beetle. They are beautiful, aren’t they? I’ll bookmark your site and check it out when I’m having trouble sleeping again!
Daniel P. Duran
Dept. of Biological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
Nashville, TN