I was surfing around and found your site. Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of the bug that I am curious about, but it’s dimensions are etched permanently in my brain. I saw it in Tennessee and the most remarkable thing about it (to me) was just how large it was. The entire thing was slightly longer than 2" and as big around as my pinkie. It had two pairs of 1" wings on its abdomen (not the thorax region) that could well have belonged to a dragon fly, only they angled back like a fighter jet instead of straight out like a biplane. The thorax was used like a neck to articulate its head there were two round black eyes and very visible and pronounced mandibles that really looked perfect for biting my whole finger. It was way too big to splat. I put a jar around it and it stayed alive in there for days, following my every movement until I finally couldn’t take it any longer, mustered my courage, scooped the thing up (in the jar) and threw it into the pasture across the road. I’m hoping that, if you’ve ever seen anything like this, my words will be sufficient to help you identify it. I’d like to know what it is, its range of habitat and its function in our ecosystem. Thanks to you for your time and attention to this.
Very truly yours,
Jenna Casanova

Dear Jenna,
It sounds like it might be a male Dobsonfly.

Daniel~ By George, I believe you’ve got it! Thank you so much!
Jenna