Hi. First, I want to thank you for your wonderfully informative site. I was trying to identify the very creepy looking critter in my bathtub and was able to find out that it was a house centipede and that I need not be afraid. 🙂 Anyway, I had gotten a pretty good picture of it and thought I’d pass it along in case you could make use of it.
Thanks again.
Tina

Hi Tina,
I’m glad we could be helpful. I will post your photo immediately. Since we get so many letters about House Centipedes, it is always nice to have a new image for the homepage.

4 Responses to House Centipede

1. Juli says:

Hi, I’m from NJ and two days ago I found a huge bug like this in the shower. It got out of under the rubber mat I have in the bathtub when I run the water and step inside. I freaked out and sprayed with bug spray and it did not move any more, then I flushed it in the toilet.

My problem is that happened 4 days ago and still thinking and getting shills when I remember or go in the bathroom, I look everywhere thinking is coming back or I’m going to find another one. I now move the mat every time after I shower and put a cover in the drain. although I don’t know if that is how it got there.

Can someone tell me how to keep them out of my apt. I also had ant which I have been able to keep out keeping black pepper around all the kitchen. Please do you have any tips for this bugs to stay out of my apt? It happened to me when I was little bug with a lot of legs got in my hand and since that I have phobia to any bug with more than two or lots of legs, like spiders, or any kind of centipedes, specially with long legs.
    Thank You , I’m even afraid to close my eyes when I wash my face in the shower 🙁

2. Laura says:

I have never understood how people can confuse house centipedes with silverfish. However, it was due to that confusion that I was able to identify this critter that nearly gave me a heart attack when I first saw one in the kitchen. I was looking for information on silverfish when I came across a photo someone had posted and incorrectly labeled, which then led me to the correct identification.

We recently had one prowling around in the bathroom. Biggest one I’ve ever seen. It has disappeared now. So have the silverfish. And the ants. We still have some spiders, but probably not for long, as I’m sure our friendly house centipede is still lurking somewhere….

The question is, once the centipedes have dispatched all the other invaders, what do you do with the centipedes?

3. The Centipede says:

YES! Abi or I’ll be Tempted to Have to Bite It !
    ///////{}\

4. Minh says:

It really look creepy!!!
    I just flushed one 2inches about,my wife was screaming like someone strangling her I ran to her and damn it creepy.
    Does it bites and make you itchy? cause it looks like it does .