Friend or Foe?
Hi Bugman!
We moved into an older house a few months ago and periodically, even in the dead of Canadian winter, I find these beetles wandering in the house. These guys can fly and sound quite loud when they do. I’m hoping they aren’t damaging in that they eat wood! Can you identify the species and tell me more about them?
Thanks from the Toronto area,
Ursula

Dear Ursula,
You have a Western Conifer Seed Bug. The Western Conifer Seed Bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis was first described in California in 1910 and prior to 1969, it was only known in the Western U.S. Then it started to move East. By the 1970’s it was established in Wisconsin and Illinois, and by the mid 1980’s was found in Minnesota, Michigan and Ontario. In 1990 this species was collected in New York State and in 1992 it was found in Pennsylvania. It is also present in Mexico. The Western Conifer Seed Bug is a True Bug from the Family Coreidae, the Big Legged Bugs or Leaf Footed Bugs. It is a pest on conifer trees. It will not harm the wood in your house. They are seeking shelter for the winter. Like many true bugs, including Stink Bugs and Box Elder Bugs, they seek a comfortable place to hibernate.

Thank you so much! It’s reassuring to know that we don’t have some sort of wood boring insect manifestation chewing away the framing of our new home! But seriously, I like knowing all the creatures I live with, invited or not, and what their living habits are. Hopefully, our Western conifer seed bugs will be returning outside come the warmer weather.
Thanks again and have a great, great day!
Sincerely,
Ursula