My roomate and I recently opened up a chocolate bar only to find a fat worm/maggot had eaten a hole right through the bar. The chocolate was in a box full of more chocolate bars that are maybe a year old. We were totally disgusted, and when we opened up the remaining bars, we found a few more that also had the worms. The worms had eaten holes right in the chocolate and on some, they seemed to shave the top of the bars off – there was chocolate shavings on the surface. Some of the worms looked like they had spiny tails, but it was hard to tell for the others whether they also had the spines. Do you know what kind of worms are these? And how did they get into our chocolate??
Kate

Dear Kate,
Pantry beetles are known to infest chocolate. The immature beetles are wormlike grubs, much as you describe.

2 Responses to Pantry Beetles infest chocolate candy

1. Beth says:

Hi. Appreciate ur info/knowledge. So if I found some of these bugs eating a few of my chocolate bars but not others, should I throw them all out or just the ones that I can tell the hugs have gotten into? Thx. I have a drawer of abt 10 differ flavored chocolate bars I snack on here and there.

Wow, this is a very old posting you are commenting upon. How much food to discard when there is a pantry infestation would be your decision. We would not buy any new candy until you have either discarded or eaten what you currently have. Sometimes food is already infested when it is purchased. Our staff recently bought some bargain rice without checking the expiration date, and there are Weevils in the bag.