Mr. Bugman,
I have consulted your website and now know that my home is harboringAmerican Cockroaches. These bugs absolutely disgust my daughter and I. Welive in northeast Oklahoma and we’ve occupied our home for two years. Wejust started noticing them at the beginning of summer (around the end ofMay). I haven’t seen an abundance of them but what I have seen isdisturbing. I’ve spotted one coming from under the washer, one in mydaughter’s bathroom (not that I’ll ever tell her) and two coming out fromunder the kitchen sink. I’ve also noticed them prowling around outside myhouse in larger numbers (around screens and such). Will these things dieoff when winter really kicks in or should I consider extermination? I usedabout half a can of RAID trying to kill one of them and that is verydiscouraging. Will it actually be worth my money to get an exterminatorfor these things? I will have to move out and leave all my belongingsbehind if I can’t get rid of them any other way! Where did theabominations come from to begin with and how did they get in my house?They fly for crying out loud! Please give me some much needed advise.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Grossed out in Tulsa

Dear Grossed Out,
Regarding the origin of the "abominations", I think it is best to quote Sutherland who writes "If the test of nobility is antiquity of family, then the cockroach that hides behind the kitchen sink is the true aristocrat. He does not date back merely to the three brothers that came over is 1640 or to William the Conquerer. Wherever there have been great epoch-making movements of people he has been with them heart and soul, without possessing any particular religious convictions or political ambitions. It is not so much that he approves of their motives as that he likes what they have to eat. Since ever a ship turned a foamy furrow in the sea he has been a passenger, not a paying one certainly, but still a passenger. But man himself is but a creature of the last twenty minutes or so compared with the cockroach, for, from its crevice by the citchen sink, it can point its antennae to the coal in the hod and say: ‘When that was being made my family was already well-established’."
I’m sure that is no consolation, but roaches are well evolved and will most surely outlive man on this planet. I think extermination is overkill, not to mention that it just produces stronger more resistant bugs. Their numbers will decrease in the winter, but you can be assured that somewhere they will survive the cold and return the following summer. For now, squash the ones you see.