Hercules Beetle/Rhinoceros Beetle
(9/1/2003)  What’s this Beetle
My husband found this on one of our tomato plants this weekend. I have been searching the web trying to identify it but haven’t had any luck. We are located in Claremore, Oklahoma.
Thanks for your help
Teresa

Rhinoceros Beetle

Rhinoceros Beetle

Dear Teresa,
You have taken a beautiful photograph of a male Hercules Beetle, Dynastes tityus. We have only received photos of dead ones in the past which can be viewed on our beetle page. The female does not have horns. Sometimes they are called Unicorn Beetles or Rhinoceros Beetles depending upon the author, but our latest sources credit the common name to be Hercules, though the scientific name remains the same. A larger species is found in the West, Dynastes granti. Adults are reported to feed off the sap of trees , especially from the Ash family, and to eat figs, while the grubs eat leaf litter and rotten wood. Some great photos of mating couples of D. granti can be found on this site:
http://beetlegate.hyperlink.cz/beetles-sides/Dynastes_granti.htm
These are reportedly the most massive beetles in North America, though some Stag Beetles may be in contention for the record. Here is a photo of Dynastes tityus on a postage stamp issued in the U.S. in 1999.

U.S. Postage Stamp

U.S. Postage Stamp

Thank you so much for your response.  My husband ended up moving him the next day to a vacant field across the road because he found him on the ground in front of my barn and was afraid my horses would step on him and crush him. I hope he has a very long and productive life. I have never in my life seen a Beetle quite like him.
Thanks again
Teresa
I think you forgot to include the web address. My husband would really like
to see the picture of the postage stamp. Thanks again.
Teresa

U.S.  Postage Stamps

U.S. Postage Stamps

http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/postal_store_non_ssl/browse_content/
pressRelease.jsp?CURSOR=116&BV_UseBVCookie=yes
>

Here is the entire sheet.