Dear bug man,
I was wondering if you could help me out and identify this bug. It fell out of a tree, landed on my boss’s face and stung him. I have attached a photo of the offender. The bug is about 1⁄4 of an inch in length. It is black with an orange U on its back; it has six legs and a very small head. Its abdomen is slightly flattened. Also, it has some very spikey hairs on its back- not very long but they remind me of the hairs on a caterpillar. Any help would be appreciated
Amanda

Dear Amanda,
You are probably going to find this hard to believe, but that was a young ladybug that landed on your boss’ face. While it is doubtful that it mistook your boss for an aphid, you must remember that both adult and larval forms of ladybugs are voracious hunters, and perhaps your specimen was just hungry. They don’t sting, but they could bite.