Hi, I found a worm like bug under a rock. Light brown and it stretched out to about sixteen inches. It seems sticky and real skinny. I wanted to know if it was poisonous and wanted to ask you. can you help me find out what it is? :
Sincerely,
H.R age 12 thanks

Dear H.R.
We got a letter several weeks ago from a man who described much the same thing as you describe.
He enclosed a headsketch. We identified his "worm" as a Arrow Headed Flatworm, Bipalium kewensis. It is a land planariun and is slender and brown. They have five longitudinal stripes on the body and a head shaped like a hammer. It needs a warm, moist environment and is often found near water spickets. Flatworms are hermaphroditic, and copulation involves mutual insemination; they may also reproduce asexually by fragmentation. They are benign creatures since they do no damage to plants nor do they cause medical problems. Here is our other reader’s sketch, though we lost his wonderful original letter. Hope that is a positive ID for you.