I was wondering if you could tell me what this thing was. It is very different. However I found it dead, so I decided to take pics, It looks mean. What is it’s purpose. I have never seen anything like this. We are in the Limestone area, of Texas. Thanks ever so much.
Gary

Hi Gary, It is a male Unicorn Beetle, Dynastes tityus, a member of the scarab family prized by collectors. The males have three horns, not one, so Unicorn Beetle is something of a misnomer. The grubs are found in rotting wood. It is a Southern insect.  It is also known as an Eastern Hercules Beetle.

2 Responses to Eastern Hercules Beetle

1. Leah says:

I live in northeast PA and believe i saw this (or something like it) a few years ago. It was…
    1)about three dimes long, same head “crest”
    2) dark (maybe even black) and shiny exoskeleton
    3)found less than 200 yds from a river and less than 100yds from a thicket of woods
    4)found while catching fireflies in about late june/early july
    5)MAD bug, almost hurt my sister when she caught it
    6)made some sort of hissing sound, but might have just rubbed the wire kritter keeper just right

If it was not one of these, can you give me some possible other bugs? My sister has been asking me what it was for years. Thanks!

2. Karen Fox says:

I live in Maryland and today I found a really large black beetle. It was dead and I brought it home to do some research. I believe it is a Hercules Beetle.
    It is all black and probably about 1 1/2″ long, 3/4″ wide with 2 pincers vertically on it’s head.
    I’ve never seen anything even remotely like it before.
    Are these common in Maryland?