I recently came across a message where you had identified the dreaded "stink bug". I live in northern Michigan near Petoskey. I build a new house in the winter of 2002 and in August of 2002 was invaded by brown stink bugs. I have 2 plants which I have never seen the bugs near. I usually find them near the windows. I am desperate to get rid of these ugly creatures!!!! Please advise me of anything you know that would be helpful.
Thank you,
Ami Watkins

Dear Ami,
What constitutes an invasion? A few stink bugs might have wandered into the house through the door and then were drawn to the windows because of the light. They are accidental visitations, much like the occasional fly or bee which finds itself indoors and wants nothing more than to get out. Also, they are seasonal, maturing in the late summer when you found them. You shouldn’t have a problem when they are in their wingless stages. Rest assured that stinkbugs will not take up permanent residence in your new home. Ants, roaches, termites and silverfish are a bigger concern.