Subject: Huntsman?
Location: Pretoria North
Hi, I came home tonight to find a new addition to the family. From other photos I believe it is a Huntsman but would appreciate confirmation. This guy/lady quite liked posing for the camera and I was able to get a few nice photos with my phone.
Signature: Regards, Peter

Wolf Spider

Wolf Spider

Dear Peter,
In our opinion, this is a Wolf Spider.  They are considered harmless, though big individuals might bite if provoked.

Location: Pretoria, South Africa

5 Responses to Wolf Spider from South Africa

1. Hennie says:

I have found a lot of holes in my grass lately and did not know what it was. Various questions ended up with we do not know either. Then I decide to do something. Took the garden hose and open the tap as wide as possible. Then stuck it to a hole. The next moment a spider pop up from another hole.

Same as the one pictured by Peter.

It seems to be a pest since after a while I ended up flushing at least 40 in a 40sqaure meter area.

Where do the come from? What can we do to get rid of it?

Seems that it spread quickly since we have seen the holes increase quite rapidly?

2. marile says:

We have found two of these in the past two months in our house…both carrying their babies on their backs…almost seems like hundreds! I did some research and saw that it seems to be only wolf spiders that carry their babies on their backs, but this is the first site I found referring to wolf spiders in South Africa. Is there anything I can do to keep them out of my house? I have small children and do not want them around…

We do not provide extermination advice. We would suggest weather proofing more carefully to eliminate cracks and spaces, especially near windows and doors.

3. Marile says:

Thank you. Wasn’t asking for extermination advice. Thanks for the info.