Subject: What is this bug?
Location: Delaware State
Could you help me find the name of this bug we found in a park yesterday.
Thank you very much.
Signature: Emma

Wheel Bug

Wheel Bug

Hi Emma,
This is a Wheel Bug, the largest Assassin Bug in North America.  While Wheel Bugs are not aggressive toward humans, they should be handled with caution as they are capable of inflicting a painful bite.  We have been receiving many more Wheel Bug identification requests than usual this season, which causes us to suspect that they are more numerous than usual.

Thank you very much for taking the time!

Location: Delaware

8 Responses to Wheel Bug

1. Caroline says:

I found one last year that had a Japanese beetle in its clutches, so I was curious what it was. Now I see the wheel bug nymphs all over the place and I know to leave them alone.

2. mike jakoweiczuk says:

found two one small one and one large small one was on top . found them in Atco NJ . VERY KOOL LOOKING BUG

3. Sharon says:

I saw one on my house the other day. I thought it was a queen stink bug! The a friend said she saw one at work. Glad w didn’t touch it!

Glen Burnie, Md

4. Amy Rodriguez says:

Found a wheel bug in Manassas, VA – I’ve lived in Northern Virginia all my life and have never seen a bug like this. Quite interesting!

5. Caroline says:

I didn’t see a single Wheel Bug this year, or any Preying Mantis. There were a lot less Japanese Beetles as well, I think there’s a connection.

We have at least four postings on our site of Wheel Bugs eating Japanese Beetles, so you are probably right that there is a connection, but we do believe in the interconnectivity of all things on our fragile planet.

• Caroline says:

I had read an interesting article (on the interwebs) that plants under attack can give off “distress signals” to warn their neighbors, who in turn, will initiate whatever defenses they have, and also pass along the signal which will eventually attract predators. But we also had a brutal winter.