Subject: What is this ?
Location: Garfield Heights Ohio
This is a bug found in Garfield Heights Ohio. This could be a scorpion but it is doubtful because it is in Ohio in the month of March.
Signature: Eman

Scorpion???

Scorpion???

Dear Eman,
The quality of your photo is less than ideal, but this does appear to resemble a Scorpion.  BugGuide has no reports of Scorpions north of Tennessee, so we cannot explain the location nor the timing of this sighting.  Can you please provide additional photos and details regarding the location of the sighting.  Did it occur in a pet store or other area where Scorpions might have been introduced?

Update:  We are still trying to learn more about this mystery.  We have been attempting to learn if there are any substantiated reports of scorpions in Ohio, and we discovered some information on the questionable WikiAnswers site

Location: Garfield Heights, Ohio

20 Responses to Scorpion? found in Ohio?? in March????

1. Ju says:

That’s definitely a scorpion! :)

2. philostopher says:

Is it possible that it’s a somewhat mangled version of one of these? The males do have the “kit” like a scorpion, though it’s used for an entirely different purpose, and they are found in Ohio:

http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/2012/10/scorpionfly-in-beautiful-landscape.html

Love the site — I’ve visited regularly since we accidentally (in a panic) fatally damaged a cicada-killer wasp and I found an image on your site. I hate when that happens — usually we don’t do that.

Thanks for the suggestion, but we are pretty certain this is a real scorpion.

• philostopher says:

Actually, much to my surprise, there is a “northern scorpion” —
        http://entomology.wsu.edu/outreach/bug-info/northern-scorpion/

seen as far north as southern Canada. It looks a bit like that one, as well. I’ve lived in Ohio most of my life, with a brief detour out of the area in my twenties (part of which was spent in New Mexico, where there were several varieties of both scorpions and vinegaroons) but wasn’t aware there were any that lived in areas that were not legitimately subtropical. Live and learn!

3. Gulmira says:

Today I kill scorpion, I was very surprised, from where in OH?

4. rfg says:

I can’t believe that! I always wanted a scorpion, and wished they were more common in Ohio :L

5. krissy says:

found a scorpion in my mailbox. Wooster oh 06/25/2013

6. jen says:

i think i encountered a scorpion in my driveway this morning? medina, oh 6/27/13

7. Michael Van Horn says:

Yes, that is indeed a scorpion. I had them in my last two houses in rural Central Texas. There is one species, the southern devil scorpion, that is native to Kentucky. The one in the pic may have been a migrant that was unintentionally brought up from KY by someone moving or through commercial trucking or shipping. They are generally not the kind of scorpions that you find at a pet store. Here is some info on the southern devil scorpion: (http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CritterFiles/casefile/relatives/scorpions/scorpion.htm#common)
    The northern scorpion, mentioned earlier, is found in the Pacific Northwest.

8. Jason says:

Scorpions like any other invasive species can be let loose or escape Into the wild where it has the potential to multiply and thrive . I think we are missing the big picture here and that’s irresponsible pet owners .!! Ignorant persons don’t think about the dangers to people or harm it has on our environment !
    Never seen a scorpion in ohio but then again I’ve never seen one in arizonian when I lived there either!

9. just me says:

I found in Perry Ohio two black scorpions in my house, one grayling on tube and one under stove in kitchen alive. Scared me found I had a bug spray for all types od bugs for them to. Hope I do not find another one.

10. Annette says:

Perry Ohio found two black scorpions one in tub another in kitchen was moping under stove and it came out.. Hope I do not find more ever scary.