Subject: Insect ID
Location: Agoura Hills CA
March 5, 2013 5:32 pm
Greetings from Southern California. We see examples of this crawling on our walls from time to time. Here’s a photo I took today myself March 5, 2013. The finger is to indicate the scale. My kids are concerned, though I’m sure it’s harmless. Many thanks.
Signature: Alan

Varied Carpet Beetle

Varied Carpet Beetle

Dear Alan,
It seems that in recent weeks, a significant percentage of our insect identification requests have been for Carpet Beetles, including the Varied Carpet Beetle,
Anthrenus verbasci, the species in your image.  Your photo is of a much higher quality than most of the requests we have received recently, so we are using your request as a feature on our site to inform our readers about Carpet Beetles.  Carpet Beetles are common household pests that feed on a variety of organic items in the home, including “wide variety of materials of animal origin (wool, fur, skins…)(1); stored food materials and products (biscuits, cakes, seeds, wheat, maize, oats, rice, cayenne pepper, cacao, and dried cheese)” according to BugGuide.  For clarification, only the larvae eat those items.  Adults, which are frequently found on windowsills, feed on pollen.

Location: Agoura Hills, California
Share →

10 Responses to Varied Carpet Beetle

1. George says:

How can I get rid of these Bugs?

You need to find the source of the infestation. The adult beetles feed on pollen and they do not survive on items in the home. Larvae feed on a variety of stored foods in the pantry as well as on things like fur, feathers, leather and wool. Vacuuming pet hair might also help with the control of carpet beetles.

2. Chris says:

I am in west texas. i also am having issues with these. Whats the best way to get rid of them?

3. bri says:

What do the larvae stages look like?

4. Isabel Clark says:

I did not realize these are house pests. The only ones I have seen have been in woodland nearby. I was told they were Varigated Carpet Beetles but they look the same so I think that is problem just a name variation.

5. kim says:

Please explain feeding on pet hair. Will they only eat hair of pet or will they feed on their skin, body,or harm them? need to know. Thank you
    Will they eat countertop, tile,or any synthetic material?