Ed. Note:  Check out Cesar Crash’s Insetologia Blog of Brazilian Bugs!!!

Subject: Elongated headed Katydid
Location: Brasilia, Brazil
February 1, 2013 8:45 am
Hi, BugGuys!
I received these images of an unusual looking Katydid. It has a conical shaped head, but I don’t think it’s a conehead, it has the antenas close to the tip of the head and other distinctive particularities I don’t find in any ither Katydids.
The pictures was taken by Barbara, she lives in South Africa, but the pictures was taken here in Brazil.
Signature: Cesar Crash

Spur-Throat Toothpick Grasshopper

Hi Cesar,
Thanks so much for forwarding Barbara’s wonderful photos.  This is definitely an Orthopteran, but we disagree that it is a Longhorned Orthopteran in the suborder Ensifera that includes the Katydids.  The antennae and overall morphology look more like that of a Grasshopper in the suborder Caelifera.  We will contact Piotr Naskrecki to see if he recongnizes this large orthopteran.  Meanwhile, we will continue to research its identity on our own.
P.S.  Your Insetologia Blog is looking great.  We tried to post a comment to your
Callicore posting but we are not sure if we followed the directions correctly.

Spur-Throat Toothpick Grasshopper

LOL. I have to say that the antenas was among the “other distinctive particularities” (but also the spines, the back, the underside, the bottom…)
Daniel, I didn’t understand the translation thing. Clicking on the translation, it opened this post? That’s strange, it is taking me to this: http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Finsetologia.blogspot.com.br%2F&langpair=auto%7Cen&hl=en
I also did not recieve any comment. So bad.
I forgot to say, I will do another research tonight, based on Caelifera. Thank you very much.

Spur-Throat Toothpick Grasshopper

Hi again Cesar,
The translation feature on my end for your website works great.  Since I don’t understand Portuguese, I clicked on the British flag and could read a (failed) translation in English.  Remember, idioms never translate correctly.  Mapwing comes out Wings-of-Map.  When I tried to post a comment, there was no English translation, and there are two things to translate, a group of letters and a photo of a number.  I believe I need to duplicate both, but I am not sure if I need to put a space between the two.  Perhaps I am only supposed to choose one of the images.  I will try again if you can provide some instruction.  At any rate, I am most definitely linking to your blog for future South American entries on WTB?  Your next step is to have google search engines find you.  Congratulations again on a wonderful site.

Hehe, “that translator” used to translate bug in the meaning of error last year. For other languages, it’s worst, I noticed that it translates any language into English and than to the other language.
The common names, I’m creating for most of the species, usually a translation. I don’t believe we have common names for 10% of our creatures, not even for families or orders.
In the comments, you need to duplicate both, the letters and the image, no matter if you space or not. It was easier when it had no images, the only options I have is to display word verification or not.
As we don’t have many sites talking about our species, using Portuguese words, Google always provide links for Insetologia. For exemple, searching for Identificação de Insetos (Insect Identification), the first link is an advertisement (with nothing to do), the second one is a PDF, the third is Insetologia.
I think that the grasshopper may be close to this Borneacris in the family Trigonopterygidae.
Thank you so much again!

Your identification looks correct to us Cesar.  Nice job of research.  Thanks for sending us the I.D.
We chose “Bug” just because the word has such a broad set of meanings.

Ed.  Note:
We have received a comment noting that the Borneacris is an genus in an Asian family and that this is most likely in the Subfamily Leptysminae which BugGuide calls the Spur-Throat Toothpick Grasshoppers.

Location: Brazil

10 Responses to Sput-Throat Toothpick Grasshopper from Brazil

1. Babsy says:

Hello there, this is Barbara Garcia, the one who took the pics of this brazilian non katydid haha! this amazing creature really caught my attention and was love at first time, once I saw it’s difrerent head shape that pretty much confused me! would like to give special thanks to Cesar Crash from Brazil who gave me a very fast answer and made me super excited about it and of course, also everyone from What’s That Bug!
    thank’s a tone!!!!!
    Babsy

2. stho002 says:

Try Pyrgomorphidae

Thanks. Perhaps you didn’t see the update that Cesar Crash provided that includes this statement: “I think that the grasshopper may be close to this Borneacris in the family Trigonopterygidae.” We forgot to remove the “unidentified” tag and we will do that immediately.

3. stho002 says:

Tanks. Perhaps you didn’t notice the distribution map for Borneacridinae: http://orthoptera.speciesfile.org/Common/basic/Taxa.aspx?TaxonNameID=36723. So, what’s it doing in Brazil??

4. Babsy says:

Yup, hello there, it’s Barbara Garcia here. I spoke to an Argentinian entomologist here in Brasilia, from EMBRAPA (Raul Alberto Laumann) about my bug, and he told me the same thing. The family Trigonopterygidae doesn’t belong to Brazil, and he thinks this is for sure a grasshopper, but from the family Acridiidae, Subfamily Leptysminae. But, he was also very curious cuz in this area, is very common to find Leptysminae insects but much smaller and brown.

5. stho002 says:

Well, the nearest thing I can find so far is still Pyrgomorphidae: Omurini, see: http://orthoptera.speciesfile.org/Common/basic/Taxa.aspx?TaxonNameID=38767

Add Comment Register