Subject: Is or is not a marmalade stink bug?! Invading my Oregon home in droves…
Location: Aloha, Oregon (about 20 miles west of Portland)
Hello! I just love this site, and my children (all girls!) and I have had a blast looking through the posts and pictures. Ive always taught them it’s bad luck to kill a bug, so we always catch anything we find indoors and free it outside. (If kitty doesn’t get it first!)
These fellows have been here since we moved into the rental home two years ago. In spring they COVER the outside of the home, and seem to find their way in pretty consistently. This little fellow looks a whole lot like the marmaladed stink bug, however I have not noticed any smell. They are everywhere in my house! We’re in Oregon, and there are several big trees all around our two-story home, and being that it’s winter (Jan) I don’t have any windows open and I’m still finding them everywhere inside. I don’t think they bite, but I do prefer my house insect free! I’d like to let the home owners know what they are, and I also saw an article from the Oregon dept of wildlife asking residents in our state to report if they have these, as apparently they ate bad for our crops? Thanks so much in advance for your response! Keep up the fantastic work.
Angela Griffin and her 4 girls,
Aloha, Oregon
Jan 17th 2013
Signature: angieleigh, lover of bees

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

Dear Angela and her 4 girls,
We are incredibly amused at the name you have coined:  “Marmalade Stink Bug” but it is actually a Brown Marmorated Stink Bug.  According to the Free Dictionary, marmorated means:  “Having a marbled or streaked appearance.”
  They will not harm you, your home nor its furnishings, though they might try to feed on houseplants they find palatable.  If you have seen local coverage requesting that they be reported, we would urge you to contact the authorities.  Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs are an invasive, exotic species from Asia and they do not have natural predators in North America, so they are spreading rapidly.

Thank you so much for responding! I’m glad you got a kick out of my new name for it…blame it on my three year old who for the last two days has been muttering “marmladed stink bug” to herself as she plays. Talk about amusing! I also taught her the word “entomologist” just in case she wants to add that to the things she wants to be when she grows up…she is utterly fascinated with buggies of any kind. :)
I wasn’t sure if that was one or not because we never have noticed any sort of odor, (of course we don’t kill or crush them) and the marbling looks different than the pictures I looked up. I’m glad to know that is what they are! The local authorities will definitely want to know, because as you mentioned they don’t have any natural preditos, so the farmers are having a heck of a time with them.  Thank you so much again for getting back to me on this, we appreciate it so much! Keep up the great work!
Angela and the girls

Hi again Angela,
We have often heard that other bugs like Western Conifer Seed Bugs which are Leaf Footed Bugs, have a stronger odor than Stink Bugs.  We guess that all Stink Bugs don’t have the same ability to produce an offensive odor.

Location: Oregon

2 Responses to Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

1. Hope says:

I also live in Aloha (that’s pronounced uh-low-uh, not ah-low-ha), Oregon and in early spring 2013 I saw at least one a day! They’re everwhere, it seems. I dont know whats up with all the infestations going on around here (97007). Besides the ‘Marmaladed’ Stink Bugs flourishing me and quite a few of my neighbors are also dealing with Indian meal moths, which seem to get into everything in the kitchen, and those really small black ‘sugar’ ants, even in December and Janurary, which is just plain weird! I grew up in this area (I’m almost 40) and only ever saw 1 marmaladed stinker, no meal moths, and the tiny ants were only a summertime problem.
    I understand the stink bugs are an invasive species, but what about the other itty-bitty pests? Do you think the population explosion could be due to global warming? Last winter (2012/13) was very mild compared to the last few winters, so could less days below freezing be part of the growing insect population? I prefer to not harm any animals including insects, even wolf spiders and bold jumpers I take out back and release into the local wetlands behind where I live, but my girls and most of their friends are really scared of the stink bugs. Is there anything that can be done to detract them(the bugs, not the kids) from the area? Theres also a lot of Isabella tiger moths too, but the cats keep their population in check. Apparently kitties think they taste good.
    I found whatsthatbug.com just today and…omigosh I’ve been here for 7 hours! Thank you for taking the time to host such a wonderful, amazing, informative, and fun website! You managed to monopolize my day off! :)
    Aloha from Aloha,
    Hope C.

Thanks for the compliments. INdian Meal Moths are a cosmopolitan pest species found in stored grain products. It is possible to buy tainted products like corn meal from the grocery. You should check the pantry to find what they have infested and eliminate the source. They often infest our own oatmeal if we don’t eat quickly. The ants might be Argentine Ants and they might be advancing their range throughout the west coast. Populations spike in the summer, but this invasive species can be found year round in Los Angeles.

Add Comment Register