Subject: Infested!
Location: Central Alberta, CAN
June 22, 2012 10:56 pm
Help! we just had a bunch of nasty little critters show up in my parent’s living room! Can you help explain what they might be? And what to do with them?
Signature: Miss R

Carpet Beetle Larvae

Dear Miss R,
Your parents have a Carpet Beetle Larvae problem.  These are common household pests that will eat a wide variety of organic materials in the home, including wool fibers.  When rugs and upholstery fabric contained wool, Carpet Beetles were a serious problem.  Now more often than not, they feed on shed pet hair and human hair around the home.  Vacuuming more often might help relieve the problem.

Location: Canada
Share →

10 Responses to Carpet Beetle Larvae Infestation

1. Ronald Livengood says:

I have a critter (they are multiplying) that lives in my carpet. It looks like a thick piece of fish net with a sphere where the strings cross. Approximately 4″ x 6″. No I am not kidding. If anyone knows how to get rid of them, please respond to my email address.
    Thanks,
    Ron

2. Rosa says:

I think I have carpet beetles larva bugs

3. Rosa says:

I found larvas in my pantry and winter clothes on was in my drinking glass! How can I get rid of this. I am paranoid about it.

4. kim says:

I had carpet beetles and larvae last summer thru Oct.2013.Now Feb 2014 I have found 2 larvae and today March3 a beetle,this is after cleaning every cabinet huge pantry closet and vacuumed every square in. My cat is now sick and my skin is full of red marks sores and spots that I had a reaction to the little hairs on larvae or little spikes and dont be shocked when you see them dragging 5-8 long coarse hairs off tail end. I believe my cat has larvae in throat and or in nostril. Off to vet appt. #7 . I suggest no I demand vacuum,vacuum, and vacuum.Make sure to dump vacuum after each use. Good luck. Cute little beetle is bad news.

5. kim says:

Addition to above,the reason I cleaned kitchen so vigorously was I found beetles on counter near window and later read this is where they go. Adult life span I believe is 2 wks, watch out for female laying eggs and larvae can grow in sections from head body tail and start off as small as black pepper ground,When in doubt throw out.You dont have to kill but get it out of yr home for you ,yr family, and furry friends.(cat and dog) not furry larvae. Good luck.

6. Gwenneth says:

@ kim. I am glad I am not the only one to see these guys pestering cats and humans. We have a rather severe case here and now can’t deem to get rid of it. Did your vet help treat your cat? What did they say? Did it get rid of problem? And your skin irritation? Any help would be great! Thanks

7. Gwenneth says:

Or any help from bug man? Site?
    Thanks again

Larval Carpet Beetles feed on a large variety of organic material inside the home, including stored foods and dead insects in the windows. Adult Carpet Beetles feed on pollen, which is why you often find them in the windows, because they are trying to get outside again.

8. Denise says:

I’m having a VERY difficult time with the “itchy red bumps”. Does anyone know how to help this while I to try and get rid of these beetles? Allergy medicine and itch powder does not do anything and I am getting to the point of going crazy with itching! What a nightmare.

Add Comment Register