Location: Escondido, CA (North Inland San Diego)
This moth was found sitting on the wall outside of our garage early this morning (4/22/12) in Escondido, Ca. It is a very large, brown moth and it has eyelash like antennas. It hasn’t moved at all today. I have researched online and cannot seem to figure out what species it is. If you can help, that would be great!
Signature: Kaylynn

Polyphemus Moth

Hi Kaylynn,
This is a male Polyphemus Moth.  The feathery antennae indicate his sex since he used his antennae to sense the pheromones of the female.  Polyphemus Moths are found coast to coast across North America, but west coast sightings are not as common as sighting in the eastern part of the country.

6 Responses to Polyphemus Moth

1. Loretta M. says:

We found a male specimen on a building in Ramona, Ca. Today! So glad we finally found this picture to identify it! Thanks

2. stacey says:

We just found on 8-11-2013 on our house. Thank you for helping us identify it!

3. Patsy says:

We are in Indianapolis and there has been a male resting on out porch light all day. Been trying to figure out what he is and just found your site. Thanks

4. Jennifern says:

I found this outside the front door this morning. We are in the Coastal range of Oregon.