Small australian stag beetle
Location: Mount Gambier S.A Australia
February 21, 2012 4:53 am
Hello!
I was wondering if you could identify this stag beetle for me?
I left the light on in the kitchen at night and it was sitting on the windowsill in the back yard(in summer). I went outside and chaught two of them to take a closer look at.(i could only find two) a day or so after they died sadly :( . The largest is 14mm (quite small) and the othe 12mm. they are brownish red and both have the lareish antler like mandibles. I cant find a picture or anything about this cute little Beetle…
Thanks
Signature: Liam

Possibly Stag Beetle

Dear Liam,
We agree that this is most likely a Stag Beetle, however, we did not have any luck with an online identification either.  We are posting this as unidentified in the hopes that we might eventually be able to provide you with a species name.

Possibly Stag Beetles

Comment from mct5548
It seems to be the genus Syndesus MacLeay, which is indeed a stag beetle. Two species occur in Australia, S. cornutus and S. macleayi.

Ed. Note:  We found this link on Alain Galant’s website and the beetles look like a spot on match to us.  http://web.me.com/alain.galant/LES_LUCANIDAE_DU_MONDE/Syndesus_Cornutus.html

Location: Australia
Share →

9 Responses to Stag Beetle from Australia

1. mardikavana says:

I don’t know who it is but it doesn’t resemble stag beetle.

2. liam says:

Ive been reseaching stags and i think it looks like one, but with one? mabie its a new species? anyway what do you guys think it is? :)
    Thanks

Thanks Liam for again asserting the possibility that this might be a Stag Beetle. Mardikavana who frequently assists us with beetle identifications does not believe it is a Stag Beetle. We thought the antennae appear to resemble those of a Stag Beetle. We truly need an expert opinion on this identification.

3. mct5548 says:

4. liam says:

Thanks so much guys! I’m so happy now! :)

5. liam says:

i found its common name: the lucanid decay borer hopes this is useful :)