Bright Orange spider
Location: Pandora, OH – Putnam County – NW Ohio
I found this spider outside today – it is fluorescent orange! Very weird. The temp was low 60’s and falling. It appeared to be dying… moving very slow, and sometimes would just curl up. I have NEVER seen any spider this color.. any idea what it is ?? And why does it have an extra set of ”small legs” in front?
Signature: Found Freaky Spider

Pumpkin Spider

Dear FFS,
This gorgeous individual is a Marbled Orbweaver,
Araneus marmoreus, a highly variable species.  Not every individual is orange, but the bright orange color variation is quite distinctive.  According to BugGuide, an alternative name is Pumpkin Spider, a common name that no doubt refers to both the color and the time of year large individuals are noticed corresponding to Halloween.  The underside of your individual has markings similar to this photo from BugGuide.

Marbled Orbweaver

Thanks so much for sending three distinctly different camera angles of this beautiful Pumpkin Spider.

Pumpkin Spider

Location: Ohio

24 Responses to Pumpkin Spider

1. Joyce Smith says:

OMG,are you kidding me,this octopuss is hanging outside my door now,it is scary as ****,Oh my,please stay outside…

2. Libby says:

Just saw one hanging from our tree…Louisville, KY.

3. Mary imrie says:

I found the same spider two weeks ago in my window. Andover ohio

4. Rhonda says:

I found one yesterday on my deck. Never have seen one before. I’m in Santa Claus Indiana
    .

5. Michelle says:

I also just found one hanging in front of our front door- my 19 yr old thought it was a practical JOKE- until it started crawling back up the web!
    I wish I could post a picture of it
    I Live in Delaware, and it’s Halloween day

6. Sharon says:

My husband found one in our pool skimmer today 11/15/2013 in Due West, South Carolina! Are they dangerous?

7. Cynthia says:

Saw one walking along the ground yesterday. Such a bright orange it practically glowed in the evening light. Asheville, NC.

8. MissMissy says:

Was blessed with one this morning inside my home. It scared me but that’s just me. Afraid of all bugs. Atlanta, GA

9. Bobbiejo kerr says:

I found one today on my front porch like this but had like a neon yellow to it too …in newfane ny. Any idea what it is when it us bright red with yellow then back spits on its belly and back… Couldn’t download pic

10. pamela ray says:

can these be a brownish body with a red “strawberry” on the back?

11. Tasie says:

I’ve never seen one of these. Until now!!!! Weird, just in time for Halloween! Everett, WA

12. Lynn Kinderman says:

I never seen one like this before. Found it crawling in leaves. Redgranite WI

13. Mary Maxwell says:

My Sib puppy had an encounter with one of these this afternoon. Had never seen one this glowing orange. Oct. 20, 2014. Northern panhandle of WV.

14. Linda Jamison says:

I am in Indiana Found this wonderful Colored spider out hiding under lock latch to barn door, Thanks for the Information, I have lived in Ind. All my life never seen a orange spider, But It looks like a gray one That I have seen.

15. valerie albrecht says:

I found a pumpkin spider in my front yard. Barre, Mass.

16. Sally McConaughey says:

Oct. 27,2014 While putting my garden items away I found this beautiful orange spider. At this age in life a surprise is nice.

17. dominique woodcock says:

i have just had this in my garden. its is 14 degrees here in Grantham Lincs UK. is it dangerous?

18. Vicky says:

I see these all the time and they make huge webs too! So awesome! The webs depending on size of spider can be between trees..yes, between trees! I walked into one web this morning at work..LOL.. saw it was in the tree and took a few pics.. just so pretty!

19. Waldmann Edward says:

I saw one this weekend in Wynnewood PA

It’s orange was as vivid as neon spray paint.

Add Comment Register