Lady Beetle love

Blue Lady Beetle

Lady Beetle love
Location: South Point , Hawaii (Big Island)
Hi again :D. This lovely lady was crawling across my patio when I went to my garden today. I was delighted to see it as I had just seen an image (I believe on this site)of a blue Lady Beetle from Volcano, HI. At least I think it’s a lady beetle–correct me if I’m wrong ;).
Here in Hawaii I’ve only see a few ladies over the years but none that weren’t spotted in familiar ladybug fashion. I used a pruned tomato leaf to let it crawl on for these pictures then put it in my garden.
Signature: Dasi

Blue Lady Beetle

Hi again Dasi,
We got a bit sidetracked on this identification because in searching Lady Beetles from Hawaii, we found this Insects of Hawaii photo gallery and we spotted the Black Stink Bug you submitted earlier that we misidentified as a possible Leaf Beetle.  The gallery also shows a Lady Beetle that looks somewhat like this individual and it is identified as
Curinus coeruleus.  We cross checked and found the Metallic Blue Lady Beetle well represented on BugGuide where we learned it is “Native to the Caribbean but widely introduced for biological control. Apparently imported to Florida from Mexico in the 1950s” because it feeds upon “Normally scale insects (order Homoptera, suborder Coccoidea), but also will feed on aphids and the Asian Citrus Psyllid (Diaphorina citri).”  We don’t know if it was purposely introduced to Hawaii or if it is an accidental introduction.

Halmus chalybeus

Correction:  March 24, 2013
Thanks to Luc from the University of Hawaii Insect Museum for informing us that this is
Halmus chalybeus, though the photo on BugGuide lacks the orange markings and attributes those markings to our original identification of Curinus coeruleus.  Perhaps BugGuide is wrong as well.

Location: Hawaii

12 Responses to Blue Lady Beetle from Hawaii

1. [...] to assist in this identification.Update with Correction Hi again Dasi, While trying to research the new photo you submitted, we stumbled upon this Hawaiian insect page that pictures your Black Stink Bug, Coptosoma [...]

2. [...] Bugs… What are they? Maybe you can find it here Metallic Blue Lady Beetle from Hawaii | What's That Bug? __________________ [...]

3. Luc says:

Completely wrong with the id. This is clearly Halmus chalybeus, which has been introduced to HI and NZ via Australia. Close, but no cigar. Please let me know if you have any further IDs before just spuriously IDing wrong species.

Thank you for the correction on this Luc. We have no entomologists on our staff. Our mission is to relay an appreciation of the lower beasts to readers who are not members of the scientific community. We try to the best of our ability to identify the diverse and divergent creatures that come to us from all parts of the world. No doubt we have countless misidentified or unidentified creatures on our site, but the beauty of the internet is that we do not have to wait for a new edition to come out in print to make corrections. Expert input like yours can result in instant gratification for corrections.  Alas, it may take us some time to track down Dasi who submitted the original photo.

4. Cesar Crash says:

I dunno…
    Looks exactly like Curinus coeruleus.

Thanks Cesar. We feel the same way, and though we have written back to Luc the University of Hawaii INsect Museum, he has ignored our request for additional information.

5. Cesar Crash says:

This PDF says that C. coeruleus was introduced in Hawaii: http://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/bitstream/handle/10125/210/14_yang.pdf?sequence=1
    Curiously, I came to this post because I recieved a very simmilar chrysomelid:
    http://www.insetologia.com.br/2013/04/besouros-crisomelideos-em-sao-paulo.html

6. Jay says:

“This is clearly Halmus chalybeus”

I think you are wrong, unlike the Halmus Chalybeus this one’s shell is not as vibrant, the eyes are bright with orange, and the shell does not flare at the edges. I vote Curinus Coeruleus.

Thanks for your input. You may be correct. We have been wrong in the past and we expect we will continue to make errors in the future as well. We never received additional input from Luc who disagreed with our original identification. Additional research into Luc’s credentials proved to be a dead end.

7. Curious Girl says:

Ha! I think Luc deserves a nasty reader (commenter) award and to be fired as this is clearly a Metallic Blue lady bug which were introduced to Hawaii as Integrated Pest Management.

While it does appear that males of the Steel Blue variety have a lighter orange dot on each side of their head it’s different (Metallic Blue has a narrower center black space) and they also seem to be much greener or at least more blue and ironically more metallic than the Metallic Blue, not to mention that cute little flare on the edges which the metallic blue does not have and a dimpling/netting effect on the shell.

http://naturewatch.org.nz/taxa/steelblue_ladybird

Whereas this is a misidentified metallic blue which should be a steel blue (male).

http://www.feathersandphotos.com.au/forum/showthread.php?7473-Metallic-Blue-Ladybird

So, pat on the back! You did well in your ID here Bugman. :^)

Thanks for your support Curious Girl. We also thought Luc’s comment was a bit snarky, but not necessarily worthy of a nasty reader award.

Add Comment Register