BIG green flying insect
Location: South, west Virginia
Found this hanging on the porch the other night, HELP please should we move? Thank you, Tim
Signature: however you like

Luna Moth

Dear Tim,
This gorgeous creature is a Luna Moth and we have been tracking the emergence of Luna Moths in the more northern latitudes as the weather warms and spring conditions come to the higher latitudes.  There is no need to move.  The Luna Moth is perfectly harmless.

Location: Virginia

8 Responses to Luna moth sighted in Virginia

1. Sandra says:

We found one on our porch in Florida today. This is the second time I’ve seen them in the last 4 years.

2. Vicki L Serrano says:

I have these at my house I see several every year. I live in Faber, Virginia. They are fascinating!

3. Darrell says:

Took picture of one that’s been on my screen for hours.Chester Va

4. Angie says:

Found one of these beauties hanging around on our back porch tonight. Poor thing was missing the right bottom portion of his wing, but he was still amazing. :) – Colonial Heights, VA

It sounds like a predator made the mistake of striking at the wing instead of the body, which would have likely been a deadly strike. At least your individual has the opportunity to mate and reproduce.

5. cody says:

just found one on my car..looked like it had a fight with a potential predator found in Marion via

6. Bunya says:

Able to watch one for an hour. North west – West Virginia , just below Mason-Dixon Line

7. Richard says:

We see them every year in late Summer. BEAUTIFUL