larve or worm
Location: iran/tehran
October 30, 2010 9:30 am
Hi I’m Maryam. My family and I are living in Iran.
During the last month my parents suffered from some kind of rash or bite…!
Who did not understand what causes allergies.
Until we find a large number of very small worms under their bed.
Their length is about 4 mm… We do not know exactly where they live..!?
Do they live in textiles, mattress or in soils and between the tiles..?
Because they also existed under the carpets
Is it possible they eat blood?
Because some of them had a reddish color…
How we destroy them?
Thanks for your help
Signature: allergen worms

Carpet Beetle Larvae

Hi Maryam,
The insects in your photo are Carpet Beetle Larvae, probably in the genus
Attagenus based on comparison with some photos on BugGuide.  Carpet Beetles have a cosmopolitan distribution and they are responsible for doing considerable damage to museum collections that contain animal specimens including insect collections, taxidermy specimens, and human textiles made of wool and other organic materials, but they are not responsible for the bites in the second photo you have submitted.  The Carpet Beetle Larvae will also feed on pet hair and human hair, but they may be damaging your wool rugs.  The bites are another matter entirely, and we are not sure what might be causing them.

Unknown Bites

6 Responses to Carpet Beetle Larvae from Iran not causing Bites

1. Jessica says:

Not bites: stings. One can develop an allergy / hypersensitivity to the urticating hairs, sometimes loaded with toxins, that these pritnear omnipresent, if almost always hidden, beasties lob at their unsuspecting hosts. Contact dermatitis is the most common effect. I spent most of the last two years blinded by corneal ulcers after catching debris from pupae in my eyes, despite safety goggles, while scraping/prepping walls and ceilings of my last rental home for paint. White papers suggest the allergy can be either trauma-related or a cumulative exposure type thing, so gloves and respirators are a good idea when cleaning out attics, basements, or anywhere these guys are found to congregate. While they don’t bite, the stings can be crippling, even deadly to the right person in the wrong colonized circumstance. Vacuum cracks and crevices, day & night, and toss infested clothing/furniture/rugs/bedding/etc: it will be less costly than trying to restore your most beloved personal articles, if the infestation is visibly active. I learned the hard way, over 4 yrs with this allergy. The month in ICU this summer was awful, but [ahh] carpet-beetle-larvae-free.

This is fascinating information. Thank you for providing our readership with your personal experience regarding Carpet Beetle Larvae.

2. Kimberly says:

I too have been and still am suffering from Carpet Beetle Larvae Urticaria. Past four years, I am really suffering with this and no matter how much I vacuum, clean, steam, etc, I can’t catch a break. I have the larvae in my car and every night on my drive home from work I suffer. I can’t seem to get rid of them, especially the fibers in my clothes I’ve washed several times. How can I get rid of these quickly and how can I get the non healing sores they seem to cause, to stop? Several biopsies confirmed insect bite reaction and I’ve found 3 mature beetles in my house. I clean 5 hours everyday and exhausted by this, I refuse to believe it’s Morgellons. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

3. muffin says:

I have a carpet beedle infestation in my home. they are in frig, leather couch and my bed. everywhere.
    I have cleaned and cleaned but cant seem to be rid of them. now they are affecting my body.
    I have an allergic reaction to the hairs which are now giving me bite like marks especially on lower legs, my heel (used full strength tea tree oil) a lot better now, at least I can walk without too much pain. they are also in my hair (but cant get a good look on scalp. but I can feel them. I put boric acid on scalp (think it helps). they get in my clothes.
    I went on vacation (taking clothes that were bagged). it was a nightmare. they were in the bed crawling on me constantly. its the same at home. I use a sticky roller on kitchen counter tops to remove them, but they keep coming back.
    what can I put on my skin to keep them off me. my hands are swollen with a horrible itch, also legs are same. a lot of times they get into my underwear. I am at my wits end. seems nobody knows what to do. or they don’t believe it.
    do you know how to get rid of this allergy so I can enjoy life again. I am now age 67 and retired…but life is horrible.
    I cant even make food, i.e soup..they seem to fall into it.
    have used peppermint oil, neem paste..alchohol (maybe I should drink it) haha, nothing helps
    please help me

4. muffin says:

I must also mention I had orkin spray my house for carpet beedles, which they had confirmed, but they couldn’t fix the problem..