What bug is this?
Location:  Northern California, USA
September 5, 2010 1:41 am
We keep finding these bugs around our house. They are coming from the outside, they come in when we open the doors or windows. They are also all around the outside of the house and the walls outside of the house. Some are brown with a yellow stripe on its back. They move fast, so we thought they might be some kind of roach, but we are not sure what kind of bug it is.
Signature:  Carly

Cockroach

Hi Carly,
We did not recognize your Cockroach, which we had believed to be an immature nymph, but we located it on BugGuide, and it is a recently introduced species that has become established in California, and it is a wingless species,
Phyllodromica trivittata.  According to BugGuide it is:  “Recently introduced into California, apparently now in Marin, Petaluma and Cotati” and “Reports of high abundance both indoors and outdoors make it likely that reproduction is occurring outdoors with subsequent invasion of nearby structures. As this species adapts to this new environment, studies will need to be conducted to confirm this.”  BugGuide also reports:  “Known from dry habitats around the Mediterranean. It has been recorded from Morocco; Algeria; Spain; Italy (Sardinia Island); Italy (Sicily); Libya; and Israel. Given that it has not been recorded as being a pest in buildings in those countries (as far as I’m aware) it is unlikely to invade buildings in the USA. Comment by George Beccaloni (The Natural History Museum, London, UK).

Cockroach

21 Responses to Recently Introduced Cockroach

1. Chris says:

I just wanted to report a sighting of the newly introduced Phyllodromica trivittata in Rohnert Park, CA which is just north or Petaluma. Sorry that we didn’t get a picture of it. My son spotted it when we were swimming in a pool. Like everybody else has confirmed, it is very rapid. It doesn’t seem too shy as it quickly crawled onto my finger when it had the chance. We left it where we found it and were excited to look for it on this website. Thanks again for all of the good information. You guys are awesome.

2. Kimberly says:

I live in Tempe, AZ and am battling an infestation of these. The last time I was in Petaluma, CA was over 4 years ago and I’ve never seen these until now.

3. joe joe says:

yeah these guys are up in Santa Rosa too.

4. Adrienne Bryan says:

Found TWO in same 12 hour period in Cloverdale, CA. waited until dark and scoured the house but found no more evidence so hoping they do colonize and sometimes ‘accidentally’ come inside…
    never really had experience with a pest inside of any sort so hoping its a fluke….
    going to try not to follow instinct to burn down my house.

5. Jett says:

I just discovered these one week ago. They are outside near the house. On the outside stairs. Inside the basement. And now I just found one on the window sill when I opened the window. They move FAST. So far I see them at dusk or at night.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, specifically Port Costa, CA 94569. Contra Costa County, on the South side of the Carquinez Strait.

6. Dave says:

I have seen them in my backyard in Cloverdale, CA. They seem to live in leaf litter and are flushed out with a hose. There is more on this pdf. CALIFORNIA PLANT PEST & DISEASE REPORT
    Volume 25, Jan. 2008 – Dec. 2009

7. Jett says:

I just captured one in my upstairs bedroom. Will send it to the Contra Costa Department of Agriculture so they can confirm the species and document that it is now in Zip 94569.

Informative BLOG post from July 2014, with helpful comments:
    http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=14445

8. Chez says:

I live in Santa Rosa Ca. I have found hundreds and hundreds over the last couple months. Only a few have been spotted indoors. Anyone want to come collect them let me know, I found tons of them on a trail!

9. Laurie says:

Bodega Bay (Sonoma Co.) – We’ve had them for two years. The ground appears to be rolling with them when it’s warm, thus taking the fun out of yard work :( Finding more of them in the house, at least a couple a day. Disappear over winter. I’ve also seen them in Tomales.

• Dave says:

Found my first one in the house. There seem to be less outside after making a concerted effort to clean up the leaf litter. I could be WAY wrong on that, I suppose.

• yvonne weber says:

we only started seeing them last year too…but our back yard in infested with them!!!

10. Leah says:

I am vacationing in Point Reyes, and the place I am renting is infested with them. It’s gross. I killed something like 15 of them today.

They are over by the kitchen area, don’t seem to be in the bed area (thank GOD!). I just hope I don’t accidentally bring any home with myself when I leave. Revolting!

11. yvonne weber says:

I too am having a problem with these….I live in Santa Rosa and have a large field behind my house. All my kids toys are covered in them and I do find them in my house….EW!

12. marina says:

I too live in Santa Rosa and have found them inside as well as outside. With this many can an exterminator even get something like this under control?

13. jewl says:

Found one coming into the garage tonight and squished it. I hope these suckers are outside bugs! Anyone know what they eat?

14. jewl says:

Oh, and I’m at the north end of Rohnert Park near Petaluma Hill Road

15. Jess says:

We just encountered one of these little buggers in our upstairs hallway. In Youngstown Ohio. I have never seen one before, but this one was a female obviously, since it had an egg sac. I’m hoping they don’t become a problem.

According to BugGuide, this recently introduced Mediterranean species is only reported from California. Have you had recent visitors from California, or perhaps Italy?

16. Jess says:

None that I’m aware of, but I just moved into this house, and don’t know what the people did before me. When I saw it on my beige carpet I freaked having never seen anything like it before. It almost blended in.