Trapdoor Spider
October 17, 2009
My wife found this spider in our kitchen sink. She was too scared to pick it out even though it was dead. After picking it out I was fascinated by its size. My question is if this spider is dangerous/venomous? Thank You.
Erik T.
Mount Washington, Los Angeles

California Trapdoor Spider

California Trapdoor Spider

Hi Erik,
Thanks for informing us about another Mount Washington sighting of a Male California Trapdoor Spider.  All spiders have venom, but only a few are harmful to humans.  Either the venom is too mild or is not of sufficient quantity, or the fangs of the spider cannot penetrate human skin.  We know of no reports of anyone being bitten by a California Trapdoor Spider, but that does not mean it cannot happen.  The California Trapdoor Spider is not a species that is considered harmful to humans.  We are happy to hear that there must still be a healthy population of this magnificent spider in the Mount Washington area where continued development is reducing the amount of open space.

Location: California
Share →

7 Responses to Another Male California Trapdoor Spider

1. cristina beland says:

we lived at 973 figueroa terrace los angeles in the 60’s…..we had many visits from
    USC professors looking for trap door spiders…there were huge colonies living behind our house !!

Alas, development in the Mount Washington area has eliminated much of the native habitat for Trapdoor Spiders that seem to prefer sunny, south facing slopes with sandy soil.

2. C Ann Grant says:

I found a live male CA trapdoor spider in our shower on Sunday (we live in Corona CA). I asked my husband to catch and remove him, but he said he was gone. I just found him again this morning – he’s apparently been hiding under the soap dish. My husband has a new to-do when he gets home. Hopefully he’ll find a sunny place for him.

Thanks so much for taking the time to relocate your California Trapdoor Spider. Their numbers have dwindled in most urban areas where they formerly ranged.

3. Cristina says:

We just found one in my front yard. Thought it was a baby tarantula, till I did research and found out it was a male california trap spider. Interesting stuff!

4. Lamar says:

I found a dead one just outside my front door today in Highland Park…the little stinker in me was SOOO tempted to leave it on my mate’s pillow…my arachnophobic mate….LOL…a divorce would be next so I decided against it.

Add Comment Register