Moth or ??
August 19, 2009
I found this moth like buy in front of my garage door under where the hallogen light is. Usually I find many lunar moths there but found this today. Approx 3 inches long, narrow moth like bug. Pinchers on the front and antenae above the pinchers.
Do you have any idea what it is? I have searched some moth web sites etc,,,,but cannot find anything similar.
Deb
Central Maine USA

Male Dobsonfly

Male Dobsonfly

Hi Deb,
Now that you know that this is a male Dobsonfly, you should be able to locate a wealth of online information. Female Dobsonflies have much smaller mandibles.   Since we just finished posting some marvelous images of a female Dobsonfly from Peru, we feel compelled to post your photo as well.

3 Responses to Male Dobsonfly

1. shiniq-wa says:

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
    MALE DOBSONFLY HOLY BALLS IN MY MOUTH.

2. randy Hamilton says:

Caught one of these in iowa freaky looking fellow.

3. PeaceWon says:

I found one on my porch last night, in Texas. It is still kind of just hanging out today on the planter. Scared the dog water out of me though last night!!