Moth or ??
August 19, 2009
I found this moth like buy in front of my garage door under where the hallogen light is. Usually I find many lunar moths there but found this today. Approx 3 inches long, narrow moth like bug. Pinchers on the front and antenae above the pinchers.
Do you have any idea what it is? I have searched some moth web sites etc,,,,but cannot find anything similar.
Deb
Central Maine USA

Male Dobsonfly

Male Dobsonfly

Hi Deb,
Now that you know that this is a male Dobsonfly, you should be able to locate a wealth of online information. Female Dobsonflies have much smaller mandibles.   Since we just finished posting some marvelous images of a female Dobsonfly from Peru, we feel compelled to post your photo as well.

8 Responses to Male Dobsonfly

1. shiniq-wa says:

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
    MALE DOBSONFLY HOLY BALLS IN MY MOUTH.

2. randy Hamilton says:

Caught one of these in iowa freaky looking fellow.

3. PeaceWon says:

I found one on my porch last night, in Texas. It is still kind of just hanging out today on the planter. Scared the dog water out of me though last night!!

4. Timothy Beaulieu says:

Just found 3 of them this morning in Greenbush, ME. My skin is still crawling! NASTY!

5. Steven pounds says:

Found one Pittsburgh PA

6. Bunny says:

I live in Texas and I didn’t even know these existed until One landed on me tonight on my shirt. I started freaking out trying to get it off of me and it states stuck and it had to take my husband to wack it off for it to leave. scariest moment of my life!!!

We understand they give off a foul odor as well. Though frightening, male Dobsonflies are perfectly harmless, though one might accidentally fly into a person’s eye, in which case those sabre mandibles might do some serious damage. Larval Hellgrammites and adult female Dobsonflies both have much more practical mandibles, for defense in her case and capturing prey in the larva’s case, and an encounter with a thin skinned person might result in the loss of some blood.

7. Alisa Devenport says:

I’m in east Texas and found one in my front porch this afternoon HOLEEE COW!! Have never seen a big that big in my life. Now I have to use the back door…or sell the house.