small bug, with yellow stripes
do you know what kind of bug this is, and is it poisonous?
northeastern Pennsylvania

Lady Beetle Larva

Lady Beetle Larva

Hi Joyce,
In recent weeks, we have had countless requests for the identification of Lady Beetle Larvae, the immature form of Ladybugs, but since out computer was so slow, we did not post any, nor could we take the time to respond personally.  Our fast new computer is allowing us to address ever so many more identification requests.  The larvae of the Lady Beetle is not poisonous.  They are predators of plant feeding insects like aphids, and we have gotten reports of people being bitten by larval Lady Beetles, but the bite is just a harmless nip.

5 Responses to Lady Beetle Larva

1. nedved says:

This is larva of invasive Harmonia axyridis. Of course, it IS poisonous. For ants and other small creatures. Try to put it on you tongue, close your mouth but do not chew. You will feel the bitter taste of alkaloids.

2. sophie says:

hi I was wondering where this beetle originally comes from as I have never seen one in the UK before and was curious as I seen it eating a small green spider

• Lia says:

Hii i just saw this comment and i had the urge to reply! I live in the uk and actually found one today! i put it in this container (with air holes) and its moving xDD But yeah it can bite but yeah xDD Its really cute but kinda scary.

3. Lisa Zirkle says:

I have been bitten x 2 by this larva! The bite is painful and close to a bee sting but doesn’t last as long. It leaves a pretty big bright red sore and takes a couple of weeks to heal. They are vicious!

I live in Northern CA