Big Yellow Beetle (Specifics Needed)
Sun, May 24, 2009 at 3:02 PM
Dear What’s That Bug,
My family was enjoying a walk through town recently when the youngest of us stumbled across this bumbling bug. Physiologically this looks like a typical Junebug, but the extraordinary colors seem to say different. Is this a special type of Junebug, or just a rare color morph?
Backyard Entomologist
Central Massachusetts, Suburban

Goldsmith Beetle

Goldsmith Beetle

Dear Backyard Entomologist,
The Goldsmith Beetle, Cotalpa lanigera, is also known as a Gold bug, and according to BugGuide “This was supposedly Poe’s Gold-bug , according to the account at Clemson .” BugGuide also indicates: “Adults feed on willow, poplar foliage” and “Female scatters eggs on soil near a tree. Larvae burrow to reach their food source, rotting logs and roots. They pupate at the end of one or two years in earthen cells.” BugGuide also states “This beetle is usually listed as uncommon.” This is a very exciting posting for us, both because of the rarity of the Goldsmith Beetle, and because of the Poe reference for the Gold Bug.

Goldsmith Beetle

Goldsmith Beetle

Share →

13 Responses to Goldsmith Beetle

1. akienhorse says:

The entomologist at our cooperative extension service referred me to you website after I sent him a detailed description of a beetle I found. I clicked on the link he sent me, and there was a beautiful picture of “my” beetle! I found mine one night last week on the doorstep of a convenience store in South Paris, Maine, where I suspect it had been attracted by the lights. My first guess was that it was a scarab beetle, and except for the striking color, it looked to me for all the world like the Pelidnota punctata or grape leaf beetle, which I remember my sister discovering years ago. (It sat in a display case in our house along with other natural wonders for years, and so got etched in my memory.) Turns out I wasn’t far off! Now that I know it is uncommon and not likely to be a major threat, I will feel free to let it go. Thank you so much for your helpful website – I will keep it in mind the next time I need to identify an unfamiliar creepy-crawly!

2. C Dean says:

Saw one in northeast Mississippi. On 5/24/2013

3. Jennifer says:

I found this beetle, it was stuck on the ground in my grate walk way in Farmington, Maine. It fascinated me, so I picked it up and put it in a jar. Its a feisty “little” thing. So glad I found out what it was. and it didnt fly into my house. My mom hates June bugs themselfs , I can only imagine what she would do if this flew in to the house. LOL

4. Maggie Setley says:

My 6 year old daughter just found this beetle today, 6/16/13 in Shoreview, MN (a suburb north of St Paul). Wondering where I can send the photo. Thanks!

Hi Maggie,
      We are so happy you discovered on your own, while we were out taking photographs, how to submit your photograph. We have received it and we will be working on the posting shortly.

5. Hart Robert says:

6-19-2013 Found Goldsmith beetle in our prairie near Wabasha, MN

/Users/rob/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2013/Goldsmith Beetle/DSC02349.JPG

6. cathi says:

I get like 2-4 of these a year on my viney vine (not even sure what kind of vine…grows on a wire fence..could be a grape vine) normally I am plucking off the Japanese Beatles into bucket of soapy water so I always seem to get a few of these as well.l

7. Judy Hellyer says:

Just found one of those beautiful Goldsmith Beetles out our front door…. we live in Duncan, Arizona !