Small Bug with 2 long arms like lobster pinchers
Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 5:07 AM
I found this bug twice in our bathroom and this morning in our kitchen. I was reading the paper and it might have crawled off my t shirt. Unable to identify it.
Doug
Flushing, MI

Pseudoscorpion

Pseudoscorpion

Dear Doug,
This is a harmless Pseudoscorpion, a minute predator often found indoors. We get countless identification requests from around the world on Pseudoscorpions, and we should probably include it in the Top Ten Tag. Though your photo is not the most detailed we have ever received, we love the inclusion of the ruler in the photo so our readership can see just how tiny this amazing predators really are.

22 Responses to Pseudoscorpion

1. Christy says:

Thank you so much guys. I found that bug (know identified as Pseudoscorpions) in my bathroom and I was worried if it was some type of wood tick/flea or possibly bed bug and I was searching the web and your website was the first to appear and the first to show me what this is. From Canada and -30 C weather here in winter right now, I was wondering how this guy was not dead.
    THANK YOU so much for getting a fear out of my mind.
    Christy

Hi Christy,
      We are so happy to hear we were helpful for you. Pseudoscorpion images taken indoors are quite plentiful in our archives, but specimens in nature are noticeably absent. This leads us to conclude that it is beneficial for Pseudoscorpions to cohabitate with humans. The -30C temperatures are a good reason for Pseudoscorpions to seek shelter indoors.

2. nancy says:

found in shower and put outside thought at first it was a spider cute thanks for the ID. Very helpful….

3. Colleen says:

We live in south Texas. Found poolside.

4. sue says:

do they bite?

5. Ned says:

Life is full of wonderful little things and wonders. I found one of these brave little creatures in my Vermont kitchen and when I poked it with a pen looking through a magnify glass the claws raised with shear determination. And we think we have it so tough!?! Life is Good!

6. jocelyne says:

So happy to find out what it is thought it was a pubic crab called Morpion in french.Merci

7. Lacey says:

I just found one of these in my bedroom crawling on the wall. I live in northwestern PA and I was hiking earlier today–maybe brought him in from the state park?

• Samantha says:

How do u get rid of them?

• Jocelyn says:

No need to, they’re beneficial and eat the bugs we don’t want. They can’t hurt you. I’d imagine to get rid of them you’d have to remove their food source, hence all the other bugs in your house. Kill all the bugs, and prevent them from reentering the house, and that should keep them out as well.

8. Jocelyn says:

Found one in my bathroom just now! Would have been freaked by it if I hadn’t already known about them from doing a bit of research on scorpions earlier this summer. I put it in a container to show my family when they get home later. It’s a cute little chubby one, and I’m kind of tempted to keep it to add to my scorpion “collection” lol. They’re really fascinating creatures. I may put it back though, to keep the earwigs and other crawlies that like to overrun my bathroom from getting too out of hand again. I also have several spiders that live in the corners, I let them stay. Only place I remove the spiders from generally is the bedroom, they like to bite me when I’m sleeping. Kind of amazing to think we have our own little ecosystems in our houses that we never even notice!

9. Janice says:

THANK YOU! I have looked all morning on the internet to try and find out what this guy is. He kinda looks like a crab so my search was useless. Scorpion? Who would have guessed. Glad he is harmless so it can stay . This is the first live one I seen. We have them stuck to the panel tape in our bedroom . Amazing little critter.

10. Adam says:

My second cousin lives in Arizona. Now I can say “we have scorpions here in Prince Edward Island too” lol

11. Trevor says:

found one in Saskatoon Sakatchewan. Freaked me out!!! Thought it was a tick on steroids since the ticks are so bad this year. Thanks for the Information

12. Tammy McNeil says:

This is what I found to in my bathroom I thought a tick from ny sons dog this is twice I found 1 on the wall. Ib nashua nh

13. Sharon says:

I was making my bed and found one in between the sheets. I just got out of bed a few minutes ago. So glad I searched and know I’m safe, I did kill it though.

14. Jonathan Blake says:

The one in my bathroom in Vermont has much longer arms and much larger pinchers that truly look like a lobsters big pinchers. So far I have not seen a picture of the one I’m seeing.

15. Amy Garcia says:

I found one in our shower this morning in New Mexico. It was really tiny! It’s really interesting to find things that I have never seen before.

• Mary Cope says:

I live in Lovington, NM and I found one on my bathroom sink and another one crawling up my son’s shirt sleeve today. I’m so glad that these little guys are harmless. Now I don’t have to be worried if I see one in my house again.

16. Tina Fortin says:

I just found one in my bathroom here in Thunder Bay Canada … from the other comments it seems they like bathrooms. Ty for the info… don’t have to worry

17. Jessica says:

Just found one in my bed and was freaking out bc it had pinchers and well I hate bugs! I looked up bed bugs and than thought it was some sort of spider… Your website helped a lot. I won’t be scared to sleep in my bed after I wash the sheets lol