6 legged spider/grasshopper
Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 8:38 AM
I walked into my basement one day and I found this creature on my wall. It looked like a spider had mated with a grasshopper and this odd bug was what came of it. This bug did not seem to be aggressive. It was January first and I live in Fairmont, WV. The bug had long antennas, 6 legs, the two back ones looked like grasshopper legs and the 4 front one like spider legs. I believe I might have seen this creature before while in TN. What is this mysterious bug inhabiting my basement?
Sarah
fairmont,wv

Camel Cricket

Camel Cricket

Hi Sarah,
Though your photo is blurry and the camera angle is not ideal for identifying your Camel Cricket, it is the time of the month for us to select the Bug of the Month for the New Year. Camel Crickets are also known as Cave Crickets and they are in the family Rhaphidophoridae. They frequent damp dark places. Basements are a perfect habitat for them. BugGuide indicates: “If these occur in a house the best treatment is to remove them and their breeding habitat – cool moist dark places such as piles of logs or boards in basements. A clean dry home will not be a welcoming place for these guys. Although they are scary-looking they are basically harmless to humans, except perhaps for minor damage to stored items, and are easily discouraged by eliminating the dark damp habitat they prefer.” Since your photo is not ideal for identification purposes, we will be including an older photo along with the Bug of the Month for January 2009 posting.

Shrimp-like Bug
Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 11:59 PM
We have ‘smooshed’ a couple of these at my house recently. I can’t recall ever seeing them before. they can jump grasshoppers, perhaps even better than the grass hoppers we see around here.
The fact that it’s an insect is obvious. What’s less obvious is when shrimp made the transition to land. ;D It’s a rather dejected looking bug don’t you think?
So, whats that bug?
+1 dollar to the site if you can help me out.
KILL IT WITH FIRE!
North Carolina, US

Camel Cricket

Camel Cricket

Dear KILL IT WITH FIRE,
Your insect is a Camel Cricket or Cave Cricket in the family Rhaphidophoridae. They are often found in basements and other dark, damp habitats. According to BugGuide: “Feed on leaf debris. In houses may chew on paper products, occasionally fabric.

10 Responses to BUG OF THE MONTH JANUARY 2009 – CAMEL CRICKET

1. artifact says:

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is possible…..Ok, I have an old house with camel/cave crickets in my basement. Recently I had a rather large one make it’s way upstairs to the living quarters. I gave it the controlled “step” down , disabling it so I could catch and kill it. Ok , that all happened as planned. What’s next is totally bizarre! So I throw said carcass in the toilet bowl and go finish watching TV. I come back an hour later and there is this 4 or 5 inch long “worm” very thin with a tiny football shaped head swimming madly in my toilet bowl! So, did this come up somehow from my septic tank { highly unlikely in my opinion since it’s never happen in 35 years of living here} or was it inside that monster Camel cricket??? any help would be appreciated!!!

Dear Artifact,
      This is a horsehair worm, an internal parasite of some Orthopterans. We have also gotten reports that they may parasitize some spiders.

2. […] universe report that self-proclaimed alien experts have come forward with photographic proof that Giant Crickets from outer space have landed in Norway. They submit the above image as evidence that the Earth, as […]

3. LaDonna says:

I just have to add..those are some of the scariest type bugs I have ever seen..and let me tell you from experience..they bite!!

4. christy says:

how do i get rid of these camel crickets? is there a reason we only see them when it starts getting warm? All winter we never seen one, but now that it is getting warm, we are starting to see them come out.

5. Heather Buckholtz says:

Good to know the official name of these crickets. I live in Jonesboro, Arkansas and I’ve always heard them called “Jerusalem Crickets.” Oh, and in more humorous circles they are referred to as ‘giant-mutant-jumping-bugs.’ They are quite harmless, but they can definitely be alarming. They aren’t very common around here, except in some parts of the country. They used to be an issue in town, but I haven’t seen them very much in a few years. They are not aggressive, from my experience. They can do very quick damage to paper and fabric goods. I’m not a fan of killing bugs but this is one I do make an exception with, largely because I don’t like being surprised by a big honking bug that can jump at my face. That being said, they are also very unpleasant to kill because of the ‘squishiness.’ Can’t say I’ve ever heard anyone say they’ve been bitten before. Their legs are not to be trifled with. Often times I’ll come across a dried dead one outside or the remnants of one killed indoors…. painful to try to dig their little barbs out of the skin of your foot….

6. moochie says:

Here in in Easterrn NC I have captured and released several of these buggers. They have never bitten me, their long antennas were always waving, and those big eyes looked as if I could do more harm.Love me some bugs, espescially the weird ones

7. Jamie Barlow says:

Do camel back cricket s bite or sting? I have seen several of them in my building and my kids run around in there..

8. cynthia says:

I have camel crickets who are very big, fast, and intimadating. I can’t help but kill them due to the fact that they really frightin my daughters very much and me as well. I don’t understand why their in my apartment. Its not moist or anything like a basement so what’s the deal?

Add Comment Register