wierd, 30 legged bug
Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 7:55 AM
looks something like a centipede, but only has 30, long, almost spider like legs. The feet aren’t sticky as it cant crawl out of my kitchen sink. It’s body is long, and thin. About an inch long. It has a black strip down its back.
Connecticut US

House Centipede

House Centipede

Dear Puzzled,
30 is the correct number of legs for a common House Centipede.  These frightening but harmless creatures will eat other household intruders like roaches and spiders.

12 Responses to House Centipede

1. kepernakiz says:

this creature is not a centipede but a common silver fish, they are related to the centipede as you can see. they often live in cold and dark areas. be carful they can be invasive to your home.

2. Jay says:

Found 2 of these critters in my bathtub!?!

3. Kristin Sanderson says:

I’ve seen these at my friends house in Ohio They can get big . I noticed one when I had to get into the crawl space under the kitchen. I am not sure if they bite humans but they sure a freaky looking.

4. Laura says:

I have never understood how people can confuse house centipedes with silverfish. However, it was due to that confusion that I was able to identify this critter that nearly gave me a heart attack when I first saw one in the kitchen. I was looking for information on silverfish when I came across a photo someone had posted and incorrectly labeled, which then led me to the correct identification.

We recently had one prowling around in the bathroom. Biggest one I’ve ever seen. It has disappeared now. So have the silverfish. And the ants. We still have some spiders, but probably not for long, as I’m sure our friendly house centipede is still lurking somewhere….

The question is, once the centipedes have dispatched all the other invaders, what do you do with the centipedes?

5. billy cook says:

ok this bug has been a pest in are home we see them upto 3 inches long sometimes cant get rid of them my wife is being bit buy them and just dont know how to get rid of them i know they kill cockroaches and spiders but man were infested with them

6. cat says:

I found one of these things yesterday at work sure freaked me out but did not know what it was that you for the help everyone

7. Jacob says:

A silver fish has a silver like color only 4 legs and looks nothing like this

8. Leia says:

I found a dead one of these in my uncles basement in Italy! I loved the creepy look and I was hoping that it would be something rare and have some cool long name but i was unfortunately disappointed lol. Oh well! ( I loved the creature so much that I put it in an empty tic tac box and took it back home to England haha! When I told my friends they said” eeeww, it looks disgusting and you could of brought the plague!” Lol)