Thanks for taking the time to look. Realize this is not a true insect, but many of the “bugs” you i.d. are not, so hope you can tell me what this little (about an inch long) tank is! It was seen on a beach on Cedar Key in Florida in late summer. Thanks in advance for any help.
Jacque Merritt

Hi Jacque,
This is a Marine Isopod. We are not sure if it is Ligia occidentalis, which is found on the west coast, or some other species in the genus. It is sometimes called a Beach Cockroach Rock Louse or Sea Slater
.

5 Responses to Marine Isopod: Beach Cockroach

1. roy says:

I have seen these Seawall Bugs/Roaches since I moved back to Florida in ’58. You can use them for Bait, if you can catch some! Saltwater panfish eat ’em up! Pretty soft, but the fish like ’em!

2. Marianne says:

These bugs have been spreading like crazy at wall beach, nanoose bay BC Canada. I am concerned they are a non native species as I have lived on the beach for 35 years and I have only started seeing them in the last 6 years. Do they have any natural predators?

3. Cheryl maini says:

I saw hundreds of these running on the rocks of The Barrington River , oart of Narragansett Bay..I’ve never seen these things before .there were so many all running together in and out of the rocks on the docks..pretty overehelming

4. Mel Gagliano says:

The Isopods arrived after Superstorm Sandy 2012 in brooklyn ny…..they have eaten all the seaweed growing on rocks and seawall from highwater mark down.