Brown Recluse -like spiders
Will you have a page dedicated to the brown recluse anytime soon? I used to live in Moses Lake, WA where we had many spiders that looked similar to both the Brown Recluse and the common Wolf spider but I can’t tell them apart. My grandmother was bit by a recluse somewhere in the vicinity and I can’t tell which spiders are which! Now I’ve moved to Edmonds (just north of Seattle) and I recently found another spider similar to our Wolf spiders, but it was slimmer and held it’s front legs in a tighter, more predatory manner (though it could have been a "defensive" manner cause I had tried to squish him twice and failed). Any pictures and size approximations would be wonderful. I would also like to tell you that you have an extremely useful site. It happened to be the 3rd hit on Google for "Small bug with pincers" when I was searching for a pseudoscorpid that I had just found. Oh, and my grandmother is ok, by the way! She was bit on the scalp, and was noticing that her heartbeat had sped up and she was losing mobility in part of her face and went in to see the doctor within 3 days of being bit. The doctor was the one who classified the bite. — Thanks much!

Hi Megan,
We cannot be comprehensive. We post images and identification sent in by our readers. We will post a Brown Recluse photo as soon as we get one. Glad your grandmother is OK. Because we print our readers’ letters verbatim, the search engines find our site based on layman’s terms, and not scientific terms, which is why we get so many site hits.

One Response to Google Hit: "Small bug with pincers"

1. sb says:

We live in OK. When we opened our pool this year it has lots of these strange looking creatures living in it. The back half or two thirds look like a long fish or goby, the front has six legs (three on each side) and its mouth has terrifying and effective pinchers.
    The creature can actually crawl on land for a short time. Its color makes it look like a native fish…difficult to see in the water. Can you tell me what this is?