white triangle on back?
Your site is the most comprehensive collection Ive seen so far. I live in North Carolina. Something has been biting me (but not my wife?) at night. The bites are not painful but can be really itchty at times. I found this spider crawling in our sheets this evening. Given its very distinctive white triangle on the back and striped legs I thought the ID would be cake. After looking at many sites, including yours, I have yet to find a match. We have seen many different kinds of spiders in and around our house so this one may be unrelated to the bites. Still Id just like to know what we’ve got here.

Hi Paul,
We love getting good photos of new species for our site. My old Comstock Spider Book calls your spider Verrucosa arenata and you have a female. Some authors call the genus Aranea. The abdomen is distinctive and triangular in outline. The large triangular spot can be white, yellow, pink or green. It is a Southern species that is occasionally found as far north as Long Island. It is probably not the cause of your wife’s bites. A Google search turned up a site that had this information: “The arrow-head spider, Verrucosa arenata, has three distinct color forms, which occur in the same habitat. Our goal is to understand the ecological and behavioral factors that allow for the maintenance of this polymorphism. More specifically, we are interested in understanding how predation (e.g., crypsis) and assortative mating maintains these color forms.”

4 Responses to Arrow-Head Spider, Verrucosa arenata

1. Jami says:

In Carrboro, NC….This spider actually jumped BACK on me from the pavement after I brushed it out of my hair as if attacking. Aggressive. Not sure if this is normal behavior or not.

2. kim ryan says:

I killed a spider with a white triangle on its butt. When I smashed it, I looked to see if it died. Well when I opened up the toilet paper I seen it was dead but in its butt there was a little thin gray coil of a worm. An it was hard to kill, I had to masked it like 4-5 times before it finally died. Do you know what that worm like thing would have been? I’m freaked out. Thanks.

3. Robert says:

We live in the country above Durham, NC. I went out last night to close up our chicken coops and feed the rabbit when I almost walked into a giant web! I shined my light up to see this spider with a white triangle on its back waiting on the edge of a tree branch. Then not even two feet away was another one with a yellow to green triangle working on its own web. Strangely though there was no sight of them today. One instinct is to agree with my wife and burn down every tree and bush in our yard that doesn’t produce fruit. Evey night like the last brings me one step closer to doing just that. Even though I’m the one trying to convince her some spiders are good for the yard and environment; that sudden awareness you just got web all over your face and head and don’t know where the spider went or what kind it was, is extremely frightening for the most courageous. Needless to say, I am the only one with the faith and stupid willingness to cautiously brave the risk of a face full of web around here. Thank you for identifying my nocturnal nemesis stalker in waiting.